Play & Stay Spring 2015
Your Columbia Gorge vacation awaits! A single price includes custom weekend activities, river-view lodging, weekend transportation, and all of your meals. We take care of everything; you just show up! A Friends staff member will be your guide, sharing little-known Gorge history and taking you to special spots in the beautiful Columbia River Gorge. Choose from two weekend options:
April 10-12: Blooms & Brews
Nestled in the heart of the Gorge and the Cascade Mountain Range, the community of Cascade Locks will be our hub for the weekend. We will:
- Take a local brewery tour
- Visit historic and future restoration sections of the Historic Columbia River Highway
- Soak up eastern Gorge spring wildflower as you take walks on Friends' land trust properties
- Enjoy a walk through blooming cherry orchards with the owners of Orchard View Farms, then take a private luncheon at their home with a view
- Celebrate Friends’ 35th birthday at our Annual Meeting & Luncheon
- Learn and experience conservation efforts that have ensured Gorge protection over the past 35 years and hear about efforts for the next 35
Gorge Towns to Trails Project Manager Renee Tkach will be your guide for the weekend.
May 15-17: Blooms & Brews
The eastern Gorge hillsides dotted with vibrant wildflowers will be our playground for the weekend. We will:
- Enjoy a wine-pairing dinner featuring renowned Columbia Gorge wines
- Walk with winemakers and vineyard owners as we take private tours of beautiful vineyards in the Gorge
- Take a guided Native American petroglyph walk to the famed "She Who Watches" aka Tsagaglalal
- Visit a Friends of the Columbia Gorge Land Trust property to view Ice Age Floods remnants
- Learn about terroir and why the Columbia Gorge is known as “a world of wine in 40 miles”
- Experience the Gorge wildflower bloom and enjoy a visit to the Columbia Gorge Discovery Center
Our hub for the weekend will be in The Dalles at cozy Celilo Inn, perched up on a hillside overlooking the Columbia River. Executive Director Kevin Gorman will be your tour guide for the weekend.
Gorge Business Members
Thanks to the following Friends of the Columbia Gorge business members who are part of Play & Stay:
- Thunder Island Brewing
- Celilo Inn
Play & Stay is part of the Gorge Towns to Trails program linking recreation with Gorge communities to share the beauty and wonder of the Columbia Gorge with residents and visitors alike.
The long-term vision includes a loop trail encompassing both sides of the Gorge (Oregon and Washington), connecting wild lands and rural communities and supporting the local economies of the thirteen urban areas in the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area.Gorge Towns to Trails is supported by a diverse group of partners including the National Park Service, U.S. Fish and Wildlife, Pacific Crest Trail Association, Columbia Gorge Winegrowers Association, and over 100 other entities.